Blog Archive

Monday, December 5, 2011

On A Sunday Morning..

I have to admit that this weekend my children were "stretching" me quite a bit. I've tried deep breathing techniques and counting to ten but I finally had to put myself in time out with a bubble bath and a book.  (Hey a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do)

To share a funny story with you, and I'm sure you've got a few of your own, my daughter Miss E stretched me at church yesterday morning. My children had been set up to acolyte at church. This involves carrying a device that has a very small candle sticking out the end (I'm sorry I don't know the name of it) that is lit down the aisle at church to light the candles on the alter. Really you can think of the mass problems that could occur of some little ladies hairspray going up in flames because a kid swung to far to the right or left. My son is old enough and has done it enough times, he is ok to do it by himself, but Miss E is still  little green. Well the whole way down the aisle, she kept repeating "Momma, I wanna do it myself!!" By the time we got to the alter to light the candles, (another disaster waiting to happen since there is all kinds of decorative fire hazards on the alter) she was very upset I wouldn't let go of the candle and let her do it herself.I told her I had to help her so we wouldn't knock anything over.

So in front of the whole congregation my sweet, beautiful daughter threw herself on the floor in front of the alter in a fit of impatience. I did the only thing I could do, I snuffed the device with the flame on the end out, turned to the congregation and shrugged to them with a grin as they giggled, and picked up my little drama queen and carried her back down the aisle. The trip down to snuff the candles on the alter out and carry the light out was much less dramatic.

Then during the children's sermon the leader asked the children if any of their parents say "Hurry up, we're going to be late!" My son looked at me with a smirk and I sent a prayer up that he wouldn't say anything to embarrass his mother any further. He does have great one liners that seem to come out during children's sermon. He turned back to the leader and said "Yes she does but not in a loud voice." The leader laughed and said "Well she has a lot of patience" which caused more giggles from the congregation.

So there was my exciting time at church yesterday. I have to say, although my kids stretch me at times. I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. And this will make a great story when my daughter starts to date, and I can say "Remember the time you threw yourself in front of the alter at church???"

No comments: