Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Long days..Short Years

I once heard someone say when you have young children at home, it seems like "Long days, but short years." I couldn't agree more with that statement.
I am a working mother of a nearly 6 year old who started Kindergarten this year, and a nearly 3 year old. I am lucky enough to work in the school district my son attends in the technology department so I am right here if he needs anything. I am also going back to school for my Masters in Information Systems online, which is a challenge. I've been with my wonderful husband for 11 years, and married for 7 of those years.
Between work, school for both my son and I, cooking, cleaning, and breaking up fights between siblings, and an occasional date night now and then, it seems like it's hard to come up for air. The days seem so long when you get home from work, and have to cook, clean, answer three thousand questions from two little minds, get everyone ready for bathtime and bed, and then fall in your chair and attempt to wrap your mind around some adult conversation. And most of the time, I fall asleep as soon as I get still.
But looking back at pictures of both my kids when they were babies, I can't imagine them that small. I remember the times in a hazy, sleepless daze. Those years flew by so fast. But looking at the pictures makes me smile. My little one is talking up a storm and learning words, both good & bad, at a rapid rate. My oldest asks all sorts of questions and sometimes wears me out just by the machine gun line of questioning. I have to remind myself that it's the days where I put down the laundry for awhile and play go fish with my son. Or sit and watch a Disney movie with my daughter for a few hours cuddled up on the bed. These are the moments I remember during those long days that turn into very short years.

No comments: